Monday, July 02, 2007

stepping carefully forward

This is my way of lashing out when I have too much to say and my brain overflows. My wife probably thinks I open my mouth too much, which is likely the truth, but if she only knew how many times I kept my mouth shut she would be very surprised. Maybe even impressed.

I wrote another blog a while back about prudence. That was in relation to the argument about global warming. My basic point was that it can’t hurt to cut back our carbon emissions, but it CAN hurt to continue on our present path.
Prudence, or playing it safe, can be applied to almost all aspects of life, especially in the area of personal health.
People may think my wife and I are too crazy about keeping ourselves and our daughter away from chemicals. We eat only organic foods at home, we neither keep or use poisonous cleaners in the house (we use natural alternatives to the regular scrubbing bubbles and windex), shy away from taking medications unless absolutely necessary, and even dress our daughter in chemical free clothing.

People might think that is overkill. But what’s the harm? I find it amazing that people think it is strange to wear clothes not sprayed with formaldehyde, but think it is normal to eat strawberries sprayed with highly-toxic chemicals designed not to be washed off by water.

If we look at the prevalence of cancer, auto-immune disorders, autism, ADD, turrets syndrome, and the many other illnesses plaguing our society, it makes you wonder where it all comes from.

I read a great article a while back that said, “it is impossible to link common chemicals with common illnesses.” Imagine trying to test every possible effect of formaldehyde transferred from an infants skin to their body? How do you link that formaldehyde exposure at 3 months of age to asthma at four years? You can’t.

So the answer for me is just to stay away from it. There are literally thousands of new chemicals introduced into our food, clothing, furniture, air and water every year, and very few of them are tested at all. None are tested for every possible effect because it is absolutely impossible to do so. To think that they are all tested to be 100% safe is at best ignorant, and at worst just a personal choice to ignore the obvious - which is likely a sin that puts you and your family in harms way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home